My Favorite Quotes:
- The programmer, like the poet, works only slightly removed from pure thought-stuff. He builds his castles
in the air, from air, creating by exertion of the imagination.
— Brooks, The Mythical Man-Month
- It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
— Harry S Truman
- As it turned out, the obvious clearly stated, and combined with new observations, was sometimes close to revolutionary.
— Tara Ploughman
The only way to do great work is to love what you do.
- Get the important things right.
— N. P. Collingwood
Programs must be written for people to read, and only incidentally for machines to execute.
— Abelson & Sussman, SICP, preface to the first edition
- Once a new technology rolls over you, if you’re not part of the steamroller, you’re part of the road.
Change breaks the brittle.
— Jan Houtema
We have to try hard and liberate ourselves from assumptions.
— Marc Andreessen
We have to make this stuff much more simple at every step of the chain.
— Marc Andreessen
- Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.
I would not give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity.
— Oliver Wendell Holmes
- Technology is teaching us to be human again.
That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was,
lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter
and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother
and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every
saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
— Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
The list above is dynamic and generally growing; I keep adding to this as and when I come across a great one.